RE: white-labeling checklist?

Subject: RE: white-labeling checklist?
From: "Margaret Cekis" <Margaret -dot- Cekis -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "'Cara Arnold'" <cara_arnold -at- yahoo -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 15:06:20 -0500

Cara Arnold asked about "white-labeling documentation, that is, preparing it
to be handed off to a partner and rebranded?   I can look at a doc set and
think of a list of tasks or must-haves, but I want to be sure I'm being
comprehensive. If there are best practices in terms of how the source files
are delivered, etc., that would be helpful as well.
Cara:
I did this for a couple of product manuals. I went through with "Find and
Replace" and replaced my company's name with "Company Name" highlighted in
yellow, and substituted the highlighted word "LOGO" wherever one was used on
the title page or in headers or footers. You can do the same to the release
date, and any other items that may be changed by the partner. This makes it
very obvious to whomever will be rebranding the document what information
needs to be provided. If your company has a legal advisor, I'd check with
them about any copyright info that they may want in the front matter, and
what you should do about information in the Document Properties section. My
company had a paragraph in the front matter, something like "The material in
this document was created and copyrighted by "original company name" and is
provided under license to "rebranding company name" for use by authorized
customers."
Margaret Cekis, Johns Creek GA

See what's new in Doc-To-Help 2012 in a free webcast:

Read all about them: http://bit.ly/C1-webcast