Re: Outsourcing translations versus in-house?

Subject: Re: Outsourcing translations versus in-house?
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: ryan -dot- minaker -at- ca -dot- pwc -dot- com
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 11:44:48 -0500

Questions for you before answering your question:

How do you manage translations in-house? Do you have dedicated people for
it? Do they use CAT tools to manage iterative translations and leverage
what they've already translated? Do you have a workflow in place, and are
they able to keep up with demand for their language services?

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 8:19 AM, <ryan -dot- minaker -at- ca -dot- pwc -dot- com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Just curious -- does anyone on the list outsource translations versus
> having in-house translators? Or have you recently transitioned from one to
> the other? If so, can you recommend some companies that I should look into
> and/or share some thoughts or experiences?
>
> We do all our translations in-house now, but I'm trying to put together
> some numbers (cost, turn around time etc) on the benefit (if any) on
> moving to outsourcing. By looking strictly at the cost, the outsourcing is
> looking like it's far cheaper, but I'm sure there is always some caveat...
>
> I guess I should mention that I'm translating from English to French
> (Canadian - if this matters).
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ryan

> This e-mail is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed (the
> "addressee") and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any
> review, retransmission, dissemination or other use that a person other than
> the addressee makes of this communication is prohibited and any reliance or
> decisions made based on it, are the responsibility of such person. We
> accept no responsibility for any loss or damages suffered by any person
> other than the addressee as a result of decisions made or actions taken
> based on this communication or otherwise. If you received this in error,
> please contact the sender and destroy all copies of this e-mail.
>

> Ce courriel est strictement réservé à l'usage de la personne à qui il est
> adressé (le destinataire). Il peut contenir de l'information privilégiée et
> confidentielle. L'examen, la réexpédition et la diffusion de ce message par
> une personne autre que son destinataire est interdite. Nous déclinons toute
> responsabilité à l'égard des pertes ou des dommages subis par une personne
> autre que le destinataire par suite de décisions ou de mesures fondées sur
> le contenu de cette communication ou autrement. Si vous avez reçu ce
> courriel par erreur, veuillez communiquer avec son expéditeur et en
> détruire toutes les copies.
> Writer Tip: Create 10 different outputs with Doc-To-Help -- including
> Mobile and EPUB.
>
> Read all about them: http://bit.ly/doc-to-help-10-outputs
>
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-

> info.

> magazine at http://techwhirl.com

Bill Swallow
Writing and Content Strategy Consultant