Re: Anyone ever create a Word "resource file" for a series of documents?

Subject: Re: Anyone ever create a Word "resource file" for a series of documents?
From: Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>
To: john -dot- x -dot- posada -at- us -dot- hsbc -dot- com
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 09:00:02 -0800

I veer toward Jay's approach. I would even go so far as to suggest using a
file naming structure that allowed you to break the name at certain
characters to fill different document properties.

Or, you could invest in a third party product like SmartDocs that adds
single sourcing features to Word. (Disclaimer: I haven't used it, but from
what I've read seems to be the only software of its kind.)

-Tony

On Friday, December 14, 2012, Jay Maechtlen wrote:

> I did something like that- I used custom doc properties, then wrote a VBA
> macro to process all the Word files - you can write those custom doc
> properties without really 'opening' them, IIRC.
>
> Put the docs in a known folder, and process the whole folder.
> it went pretty well, beat the heck out of revising all the docs manually!
> (ymmv)
> Jay
>

> On 12/13/2012 10:43 AM, john -dot- x -dot- posada -at- us -dot- hsbc -dot- com wrote:
>
>> Hi, guys...I create a series of documents on a project. The current
>> project
>> has about 42 documents. Each of the 42 documents includes certain values
>> (there are currently about 10 values) that are common to every document in
>> the project. However, during the development of the project, any of these
>> values can "evolve"
>>
>> Right now, if one of the values changes, I have to open, edit, and save 40
>> documents. What I'd like to do is point these values to a common resource
>> file where I'd make the change and the change would reflect in all 42
>> documents.
>>
>> The resource file could be an excel, a word document, or even a DOT file.
>> I'm using Word 10
>>
>> I'd rather not do a mail merge exercise.
>>
>> Anyone do something like this?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> John Posada

Writer Tip: Create 10 different outputs with Doc-To-Help -- including Mobile and EPUB.

Read all about them: http://bit.ly/doc-to-help-10-outputs