Re: when is it ok to leave a contract job?

Subject: Re: when is it ok to leave a contract job?
From: Chris Morton <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 12:23:36 -0700

I like Keith's suggestion. Several years ago I was in a similar situation,
although I was there 40 hours per week and the pay was great. The trouble
was that my team was put on ice while an inexperienced senior mgr attempted
to figure out how to steer a huge HW/SW upgrade forward. My team leader
(also a contractor) let us do whatever we wanted in the interim, while he
was busy trying to get our marching orders. Ultimately he was let go over
the course of a weekend (!), thereby signaling to the rest of us that our
time was also near.

During those six months I became very proficient using WinBatch, a robust
scripting tool, and did a LOT of coding for personal projects. But all the
while I felt very uneasy coming to work there and was very glad to get that
same weekend call not to come in the following Monday.

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 11:51 AM, Keith Hood <klhra -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

> I have to say I think boredom is not sufficient reason to quit a job. Been
> there, done that, got the souvenir coffee mug. I've had the glorified
> secretary jobs too, more than once. I know it grinds but I think that's
> also insufficient reason to leave at this point.
>
> If the lack of hours is causing you a financial problem, that's your
> reason for leaving. I think anyone would be hard pressed to try to argue
> you into staying in a job that's not paying enough.
>
> If you're getting paid to be there, and the money isn't a significant
> problem, find some online tutorials in something that interests you and let
> them pay you to improve your mind.

Writer Tip: Create 10 different outputs with Doc-To-Help &#8213; including Mobile and EPUB.

Read all about them: http://bit.ly/doc-to-help-10-outputs