Re: Partial SSN request

Subject: Re: Partial SSN request
From: Lauren <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 12:47:43 -0700

Using the last four of the SSN for ID is getting so common now. Recruiters must avoid double submissions because companies will reject any candidate who has been submitted more than once. Two people may have the same name, but it is unlikely that two people will have the same *and* the same last four numbers of the SSN. Other forms of ID may work, like driver licenses, but not everyone has a license to drive. Also, people not authorized to work in the U.S. will not have an SSN but they can have a driver license.

You can tell them that for privacy reasons you will not provide any part of your SSN until you are negotiating a contract. You can suggest using all 9's until you reach the contract negotiation phase.

On 10/26/2012 8:39 AM, Jim Jones wrote:

A consulting firm wants to submit my credentials to a client firm of theirs
for a possible contract job. They asked me for the last four numbers of my
SSN [not the whole thing].

I am thinking that I should balk because, even though it is true that it is
not the entire SSN that they are asking for, still those last four are in
fact used a lot out there in the market, for serious things, informally.
What do you think?

Writer Tip: You have more time to author content with Doc-To-Help, because your project can be up and running in 3 steps.

See the &#8220;Getting Started with Doc-To-Help&#8221; blog post. http://bit.ly/doc-to-help-3-steps