Do you like icons and visual indicators?

Subject: Do you like icons and visual indicators?
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 13:27:37 -0400

Whirl-ish ones:

If you had a product line in which one (higher-end) version of
the product made use of a distinctive additional device for:

a) some of the same functions that the regular models perform

b) some functions that only the high-end model can do

would you consider using a small image or icon of that additional
device to flag topics and sections of procedures that were peculiar
to the high-end product?

Or would you consider such visual thingies to be a distraction
and prefer key-word phrases as the only (more discreet) indicator
that the current topic applies only to the high-end model, or that
these three steps in this larger procedure are for the high-end
variant?

OK... it's an externally connected keypad/token-reader and I have a
centimeter-tall drawing/icon of it that I use as a consistent visual cue
in my docs, but my cow-orker thinks those little pics should go.

Help settle an argument... or escalate one. :)

Thanks,

-kevin

or disclosing it.

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help