RE: document design: I don't know what I don't know

Subject: RE: document design: I don't know what I don't know
From: Kelley Walker <kelley -dot- walker -at- libtax -dot- com>
To: tech2wr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 12:14:20 -0400

Becca -

The typography class is probably overkill, but I'm guessing you will benefit from the document design class.

As for what to read, were I designing a course, I would start with the Robin Williams' work, The Non-Designer's Design and Type Book. This book has been invaluable to me, especially when I found myself doing book layout work. I'm assuming much of your documentation work will be read on a screen, in which case you may want to take a look at Jakob Nielsen's work on the topic (and the researchers to which he points) to see what can be culled and incorporated into your independent study. Nielsen recently wrote a piece talking about changing thinking and research on font faces and online reading: http://www.useit.com/alertbox/web-typography.html

When I searched for the exact title of Robin Williams' book, I also saw this book, which looks like it may be what you are looking for?
Document Design: A Guide for Technical Communicators by Miles Kimball and Ann Hawkins.

Hope that is helpful.

Kelley

This electronic communication and any files transmitted with it, or attached to it, are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is confidential, legally privileged, protected by privacy laws, or otherwise restricted from disclosure to anyone else. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the e-mail to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this e-mail in error, and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you received this e-mail in error, please return the e-mail to the sender, delete it from your computer and destroy any printed copy of it. Although our company attempts to sweep e-mail and attachments for viruses, it does not guarantee that either are virus-free and accepts no liability for any damage sustained as a result of viruses.

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help