RE: Writing guides (was: TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 82, Issue 17)

Subject: RE: Writing guides (was: TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 82, Issue 17)
From: Fred Ridder <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: <ltc -dot- writer -at- comcast -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 10:46:07 -0400

Sorry, but you are mistaken on your opening point. Chicago Manual of Style is NOT "written for journalism profession". The Chicago Manual of Style started life (more than a century ago) as the in-house style guide for the University of Chicago Press, one of the country's leading academic publishers. Over the years and as more and more book publishers and scholarly journals adopted it as their primary standard, its scope has broadened. But it still remains strongly focused on non-fiction books and scholarly journals. As such, the Chicago MoS has almost no relationship to journalism.

The style guide that is most commonly used in the world of journalism is the Associated Press Stylebook, although many of the largest newspapers have their own style guides. But AFAIK the only one of these that is published independently is The New York Times Manual of Style and Usage.

-Fred Ridder

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help