Re: FrameMaker 11 and 9 - Doc Team expansion, help.

Subject: Re: FrameMaker 11 and 9 - Doc Team expansion, help.
From: Yves Barbion <yves -dot- barbion -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Simon Thomson <sthomson -at- rapiscansystems -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 20:12:03 +0200

Hi Simon

I don't know whether using DITA is an option for you, but if it is, you may
want to take a look at Leximation's DITA-FMx:

http://leximation.com/dita-fmx/

We and some of our customers use it with various versions of FrameMaker
within the same team (and even with other DITA editors, like XMetaL and
oXygen). Some tech writers use FrameMaker 10, others FrameMaker 9 or 8 (or
even 7.2), but they all use the DITA-FMx plugin. This gives them all the
same DITA functionality, regardless of the FrameMaker version they're
using. The only things they have to worry (or rather think) about are:

- FrameMaker 7.2 does not support Unicode, so this may have an impact on
translations
- The FrameMaker templates which are used to publish the DITA content as
PDF have to be in the lowest FrameMaker version, so in your case, that
would be FrameMaker 9

If you'd like to see DITA-FMx at work, just search for "PDF DITA-FMx" on
YouTube. Or, if you'd like to see a live demo, just let me know and we can
set up a webmeeting.

Kind regards

--
Yves Barbion