Re: Question about instructions on medicine bottles

Subject: Re: Question about instructions on medicine bottles
From: Margaret Cekis <margaret -dot- cekis -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: Steven Jong <stevefjong -at- comcast -dot- net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 16:12:46 +0000 (UTC)

Steven Jong had Question about instructions on medicine bottles
"...It strikes me, not for the first time, that the instructions on medicine bottles, which have a standardized format, seem to bury the critical dosage information deep within the information.

Is the intent to make people read the whole label before rewarding them with the dosage information? (In that case, they WANT us to read everything.) Is it poor design or lack of design? (In that case they're not doing a good enough job.)
Steven:

I don't work in the industry, but I have read several articles about poor compliance with prescription instructions and many dosage errors by users of OTC medicines like cold remedies. The standard information requirements and layout are probably set by (very outdated) FDA regulations. However, as a member of the bifocal generation, I ask, "Who thinks 6pt red type on a white label is adequate for someone to read, especially if you have a cold and your eyes are burning?

Target pharmacies, and some pharmaceutical manufacturers, have started using a peel-back folded label that is big enough to actually allow users to read the dosage instructions and drug contents on the bottles. T think we all have to keep bitching at the manuafacturers. Too many elderly people and sick children are already being hospitalized because of unitentional mistakes in taking (or their parents' administering) OTC drugs.
Margaret Cekis, Johns Creek GA

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help