RE: document your job?

Subject: RE: document your job?
From: "William Sherman" <bsherman77 -at- embarqmail -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 18:30:27 -0400

It is kind of funny to hear people rave about things like VM and "The
Cloud". IBM was using VM 30 years ago. You sat down at a terminal, logged
in, and all your stuff was there. I was in Raleigh once, had a bad feeling,
and found I was gone. I called a friend in Boca, said I had three personal
files I'd like deleted, gave him the password. He logged in, had my VM, and
removed the personal files so that they remained personal.

Much of this neat stuff people find amazing today was being done a lot time
ago. Instant message? IBM had a two line Tell area at the bottom of the
screen to IM anyone on the system. The current texting language may not
have been invented in Tell but it was definitely used there. After all, u
only hd abt 70 char @ a tme so u md t mst of wht u wrte, dyk? The Cloud?
Everything used to be on "The Cloud", some server in some place we had no
idea of, unless you were directly connected to the group overseeing the
server.

The difference today is we have a GUI and most connections wireless, but it
is all the same stuff really.