Re: Follow-up and Question on large Word docs

Subject: Re: Follow-up and Question on large Word docs
From: Mike Starr <mike -at- writestarr -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2012 16:07:21 -0500

You can always click the image to select it then press {F9} to update it.

Best regards,

Mike
--
Mike Starr WriteStarr Information Services
Technical Writer - Online Help Developer - WordPress Websites

On 7/6/2012 2:44 PM, Kat Kuvinka wrote:

I have Word 2010.

I did not have "Update fields before printing" selected, I like the idea of using Print Preview. I tried this and it doesn't seem to work altho as I mention, I can close and re-open and the link is refereshed. Print Preview is different in Word 2010, the preview appears automatically.

Will check out the link, thanks again Monique!

Kathee

p.s. Ok, just checked out the link, seems others have trouble with this feature in 2010. Not fair I tell you!

Hmm; you didn't say which version of Word, but I don't think that that
matters.

I googled "word linked graphics don't update", and think that the answer may
be that instead of the usual select all > F9 (update all), there's a
different mechanism (at least in Word 2007): Office button > Prepare > Edit
links to files.

This might be what you're already doing? But I haven't used the feature
myself so it seems as if this would be something different.

Or, perhaps/likely, the problem is that Word is trying to protect us from
ourselves, yet again:

* Go to Word options > Advanced and check [I presume that the instructions
mean "select", not "verify"] the 'update automatic links' option,
* And, go to Word options > Display, and check the options for 'update
fields before printing' and 'update linked data before printing'.

* And this wasn't in the article, but a trick that I use is to click the
Print Preview button (if you've added it to the QAT that is, otherwise use
the menus for it), and all sorts of things update that otherwise do not.

Here's the URL that provided the above info, as well as some important info
about file paths:
http://windowssecrets.com/forums/showthread.php/135306-Updating-linked-graphics-in-Word-2007-2010

HTH,
And do please tell us if you find the solution!
-Monique

-----

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as mike -at- writestarr -dot- com -dot-

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help