RE: Client/Server vs. Server/Client

Subject: RE: Client/Server vs. Server/Client
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: Phil Snow Leopard <philstokes03 -at- googlemail -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com (techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com)" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 08:01:03 -0700

Phil Snow Leopard wrote:

> > If it's the clients that connect and make demands of the server,
>

> That's an interesting point, actually.
>
> Aside from the prosody of the language that I mentioned earlier (a word
> with a final stop consonant generally precedes a word ending in a live
> syllable), it's may also have something to do with the historical the
> difference between polling and pushing content.
>
> When client/servers were invented, the server did nothing till the
> client 'called' or 'polled' for information. The new paradigm is
> pushing content to clients as soon as the database changes. Perhaps
> that might be the technical reason why he wants to change the usage (in
> my experience of engineers, there usually is some non-user relevant
> technical reason for their thinking).

Yeah, I've encountered my share of software engineers who want users to think about the application in a way that's consistent with how it's coded, regardless of how unnatural that is to humans. :-}

But in this case that "technical" reason still doesn't hold water. Even in push mode, a server still _serves_ and the client is still in control. The server pushes updates only to devices that connect to it and ask for updates to be pushed to them.

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom