Re: Speaking of Flash vs HTML5...( was RE: RE: Most innovative user doc output

Subject: Re: Speaking of Flash vs HTML5...( was RE: RE: Most innovative user doc output
From: Gregory P Sweet <gps03 -at- health -dot- state -dot- ny -dot- us>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, techwr-l-bounces+gps03=health -dot- state -dot- ny -dot- us -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 16:17:08 -0400

So to Kevin's questions: I don't think actually creating the content will
be that much different as the trend will be for the capture/authoring
tools like Captivate, Camtasia, Robohelp, etc., to output to HTML5 like the
new Captivate 6 does.

Specifically I use Captivate, so I won't be doing anything different to
create my content, but outputting it is another story. Here's a comparison
I did:

<snip>
Here's what conversion looks like for a 23 slide captivate page turner. The
only interactions are previous & next page buttons

Captivate Flash Output

1 html
1 swf
1 js

Total: 3 files 1 directory

Converted to HTML5 using Cp-HTML5 Converter (the converter is now part of
Cp6)

1 html
1 txt
1 mp3
1 database
3 css
5 js
254 png (only 40 images in the original Cp file)
226 xml

Total: 492 files 285 directories.

It seems that just about every screen object gets an xml file and converted
to png, most of the png are buried four directories deep with the directory
containing that single png.
</snip>

Again creating the content hasn't changed, but publishing the content is
much, much more ornery. Of course you can probably trim this quite a bit
if you hand-code your HTML5 instead of relying on an output engine. If you
have no interaction in your video you could go with mp4 that can be picked
up by both Falsh and HTML5 (well not really HTML5 since the video element
isn't standardized yet, but you can use a script like playr or JW Player to
fake it),

There is no need to download a plugin with HTML5, but then again there is
no need to download a plugin for anything else that runs through
Javascript. You simply need a browser that can render the tags.

Cheers!

-Greg

06/20/2012 04:05:51 PM:

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help