documenting in the cloud (was RE: Back on topic please

Subject: documenting in the cloud (was RE: Back on topic please
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: TechWhirl Admin <admin -at- techwhirl -dot- com>, Techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 15:13:06 -0400

Busted!

Well, there IS the issue of cloud services (does anybody offer a HAT as
a cloud service yet?), Google Docs, accounts for storage of docs and
other files on cloudy storage (DropBox?) and the protocols and safeguards
when we access those files and in-progress docs. They have to make a
lengthy round trip, each time we access them. Or if the software is
itself in the cloud, along with the data, we need to consider how
secure that usage really is. How compartmentalized... how confident are
you that when you relinquish a cloud-based software instance, it
gets really, really, really killed, and doesn't linger to possibly
be accessed by the next person or VM assigned to that chunk of memory,
HD space, etc.

More to the point, how confident are your employers/customers?

It's really, really handy to be able to access not only your
in-progress docs (and maybe the supporting source materials),
but also the application that fondles it, from anywhere in
the world, day or night, on whichever device you have at hand.

Techwriters living the internet lifestyle. :-)

But there's that trade-off. How secure is it? How do you
compare one provider's offering with another, in terms of
that security?

This might be one of those rare cases where it DOESN'T
turn out to be better to ask forgiveness (of your customer)
than to ask permission... even though you know they'll
probably reflexively say "NO!".

or disclosing it.

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help