Subject: TechWhirl: Technical Communications Recap for May 18, 2012
From: TechWhirl Admin <admin -at- techwhirl -dot- com>
To: Techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 10:53:52 -0400

*This week’s update on technical communications and the TechWhirl community
is supported by Platinum sponsor ComponentOne & their Doc-To-Help Help
Authoring Tool <http://goo.gl/QcMWA> | http://bit.ly/doc-to-help*

The preparations for attending a technical communication event such as the
STCSummit <http://summit.stc.org> are always exciting—akin to the
two-weeks-after-code-freeze-write-the-whole-user-manual exciting.
Talk participants (We’re scheduled on Wednesday), and providers of an STC
Summit Pinterest Board
<http://pinterest.com/techwhirl/stc-summit-2012/>and Storify wrapup
(publishes next week). So while Twitter posts abound
with notices about upcoming seminars, meetups, and departure announcements
for those already heading to Chicago, Al and Connie are wrapping the normal
week’s activities and just getting around to packing.

It was a busy content week for us as well, and Al’s interview with Alan
Houser<http://techwhirl.com/business/interviews/interesting-times-challenges-and-opportunities-for-technical-communication/>is
an entertaining and informative look at what’s ahead. Tony Chung’s
first
of a series on crowd-sourcing<http://techwhirl.com/business/next/crowdsourcing-the-new-black/>explores
an area that’s already impacting technical communicators, and
Laurie Johnson’s look at conference
alternatives<http://techwhirl.com/business/trends/alternatives-to-face-to-face-technical-communication-conferences/>should
give you some great resources for professional development
opportunities on a tight budget.

If you can’t make it to Chicago, have no fear, TechWhirl is still on the
job, providing great new content on the magazine, access to the archives,
news from all over, and our very own tech comm jobs
board<http://jobs.techwhirl.com/>.
We encourage you to be a part of the community by reading the latest news
and features, and following and posting in the TechWhirl email discussion
list<http://www.techwr-l.com/about-technical-writing-discussion-groups.html>
.

Have a terrific weekend

-The gang at TechWhirl
In Case You Missed it: This Week @ TechWhirl

*New features and articles on http://TechWhirl.com <http://techwhirl.com/>**
:*

- Tech Writer This Week for May 17, 2012, by Craig Cardimon |
http://bit.ly/Khc58e
- Alternatives to Face-to-face Technical Communication Conferences, by
Laurie Johnson | http://bit.ly/LODtkh
- Interesting Times: Challenges and Opportunities for Technical
Communication, an Interview with Alan Houser, by Al Martine |
http://bit.ly/L5XE7G
- Technical Writing Poll: Best TV Shows Set in Chicago |
http://bit.ly/JsYfU5
- Crowdsourcing: The New Black?, by Tony Chung | http://bit.ly/JgDUhk

*Tech Comm News on http://News.TechWhirl.com <http://news.techwhirl.com/>*

- Pearson, LearnSomething to Expand Professional Training Solutions|
http://bit.ly/KfMPS8
- Articulate® Launches Articulate Storyline® for eLearning Authors |
http://bit.ly/L7tnvJ
- Agora Software Releases Help Generator, HAT for Windows Apps Help and
Documentation | http://bit.ly/KkC0QS
- Acrolinx Named as a Cool Vendor in Content Management by Gartner |
http://bit.ly/JSp1n5
- Aptara Named to the “Training Outsourcing Watch List” for Innovative
eLearning Solutions | http://bit.ly/KNVgso

Social Media and the Chance to Follow TechWhirl:

- Our Google Plus Page – what’s happening behind the scenes |
http://goo.gl/SO0R4
- Will you be our Friend? Please, you know you want to click |
http://goo.gl/tDrW7
- Want all this TechWhirl goodness a few characters @ a time |
http://goo.gl/itjDg
- Updates from TechWhirl delivered to your email in box |
http://bit.ly/tjshxU
- Or, try our RSS feed (great on Flipboard) | http://goo.gl/msLzu

SPONSOR-Luv

We want to send a very special “thank you” to our sponsors for their
support.

*Platinum*: Adobe Systems
Incorporated<http://www.runaware.com/clients/adobe/techsuite/>

*Gold: *ComponentOne Software <http://bit.ly/doc-to-help>,* *Madcap
Software<http://www.madcapsoftware.com/products/flare/overview.aspx#whatsnew>
**

*Silver*: Society for Technical Communication (STC)
<http://www.stc.org/>, Vancouver
Island University <http://pr.viu.ca/techcomm/>

Online Magazine and Discussions for Today's Tech Writer

Follow TechWhirl on
Twitter: @TechWriterToday
Facebook: facebook.com/techwriterlist
Google+: plus.ly/TechWhirl