RE: Post on Technical Writing vs. Technical Communication

Subject: RE: Post on Technical Writing vs. Technical Communication
From: Ben Davies <bdavies -at- imris -dot- com>
To: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 17:32:46 +0000

I never use "Technical Communicator", mainly because "communicator" in my mind means someone who can communicate. Wow. Big deal. Is "communication" really the correct word? Some people have gotten the impression that I work in a call center when I say "technical communicator". When I further explain that I write and manage technical documentation the reaction is like "OOOOOoooooooo... I get it now".

I got tired of explaining it to people who don't get it, so now I am a technical writer. And I personally find it a little weird when someone describes themselves as a "technical communicator", because I think the title is too broad and simplistic. If you think about creative writing, do people who graduate from Creative Communications programs call themselves Creative Communicators?? Nope. They are usually Public Relations directors, Marketing Analysts, etc.

This email has been scanned by the IMRIS Email Security System

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help