Re: Post on Technical Writing vs. Technical Communication

Subject: Re: Post on Technical Writing vs. Technical Communication
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Cardimon, Craig" <ccardimon -at- m-s-g -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 12:50:55 -0400

It comes down to one word: results. Achieve consistent, quality
results and you can call yourself whatever the hell you like. ;)

The field is definitely technical communication. There should be no
argument there, unless you have solid evidence that everything all
accredited institutions have been doing to teach technical
communication under that umbrella is flat wrong. And as time-trusted
institutions beyond academia go, many have long ago adopted technical
communication as well since the breadth of what they cover is vast.

But if you write technical documentation, then yes, you are a
technical writer. It's the most descriptive term for what you do. If
you go beyond that to also write a myriad of supporting pieces that
find their way into marketing, sales, support, research, and social
spheres, then maybe technical writer is not the most descriptive title
for you to use. Overworked & Overdistributed Content Junkie might
work. ;) Or, Technical Communicator.

--
Bill Swallow
Content Solutions Manager