if this exists, what's it called?

Subject: if this exists, what's it called?
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 15:37:23 -0500

I'm writing a recommendation.

Part of the recommendation involves including shock indicators / tell-tales attached directly to the product. After some initial Googling, where I didn't even know what term I wanted (not tell-tales, not sensors...), I stumbled upon "indicators" and got some vendors and some descriptions of capabilities, applications, prices, etc.

Now, I'm looking for a similar passive device that can be attached to (or inside) a product that will record (by color change or other indication) if it has ever been exposed to a given maximum or minimum temperature. I know I've seen something in the past, but I just can't remember what it was called, to find it again. So far, all I'm seeing are min-max recording thermometers, mostly devices with batteries, and therefore a short life, intended to track the handling of a shipped product from one sender to one recipient - a matter of days or weeks, at most. I'm looking for something that the service people can view when they open a "broken" product that has been RMA'd possibly 5 years after it was sold and see that it was once subjected to -35 degrees Celsius (or +150 or whatever).

Maybe somebody in medical devices, pharma, nuclear, other industries with sensitive equipment, has seen what I'm looking for and can point me.

-k

or disclosing it.

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help