Re: Dealing with samples...

Subject: Re: Dealing with samples...
From: Margaret Cekis <margaret -dot- cekis -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: wanda <wetcoastwriter -at- me -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 16:27:24 +0000 (UTC)

Wanda asked about Dealing with samples...When you don't have any.
All the samples I do have are...print.
Wanda:
I've had good luck creating a few short (3-8 pages) e-mailable excerpts of different kinds of documents I've done (one from a health care manual, one with a network diagram, a summary table of SDLC documentation, ne for helpdesk procedures, etc.) that I can submit as writing samples. Some are over 10 years old, or genericized to delete identifying company information. Most I just copied out of digital doc files, but if all you have is paper copies, you could scan, OCR, and reformat some excerpts, or simply retype them (and genericize them while you're typing up a few pages that showcase your skill, style, and technical knowledge). Then, depending on a potential job's content or industy, you can send 2 or 3 appropriate samples. I always have a line in the last paragraph of my cover letters offering to submit writing samples. I got one job with the writing samples. The CTO who became my boss was traveling on business and couldn't fit a personal interview into his schedule, but he told HR to hire me after he read my samples. Good luck, and hang in there.
margaret ekis, Johns Creek GA

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help