Re: Typography for gui items

Subject: Re: Typography for gui items
From: Sarah Lee Hauslinger <slhauslinger -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Richard L Hamilton <dick -at- rlhamilton -dot- net>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 17:12:31 -0800

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 4:53 PM, Richard L Hamilton <dick -at- rlhamilton -dot- net> wrote:
> Does anyone have any suggestions for typographically distinguishing gui items like buttons or menu items in printed documents?
>
> Right now, we don't distinguish them, but I've got a book that uses them pretty heavily. In addition, many of them in this book are common words that could be confused with their meaning as a word. So, I'm considering doing something typographical to set them apart.

We typically format GUI items in the bold weight of the font we use
for body text, which is the convention recommended in several style
guides, including Microsoft. Although Sun recommends using an unbolded
font and capitalizing, IMO bolding enhances clarity because it lessens
the chance of confusion.

Sarah Lee Hauslinger
slhauslinger -at- gmail -dot- com

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help