Re: an electronic portfolio question

Subject: Re: an electronic portfolio question
From: Sarah Lee Hauslinger <slhauslinger -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Becca <becca -at- di -dot- org>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 21:12:06 -0800

Becca, as a hiring manager, I'd wonder why you were showing
20-year-old work that wasn't directly relevant to technical
communication when you'd just completed a techcomm degree. I don't
recommend that you use the tearsheets as portfolio samples.

Here are some ideas for you: in any of your class assignments, did you
produce clearly written and well-laid-out documents? If so, I'd say
those are prime material for your portfolio. To demonstrate those
skills further, you could find some utterly badly written and laid-out
docs (a VCR or DVD player manual might be just the thing) and re-do
them with clear writing and good layout, then show the "before and
after". If you were a candidate for a spot on my team and showed me
that sort of sample, I'd be impressed, and you'd stand out in my mind
as not only a good writer, but also an innovative one.

Hope this helps.

Sarah Lee Hauslinger
slhauslinger -at- gmail -dot- com