Re: Question for writers in New Zealand and Australia

Subject: Re: Question for writers in New Zealand and Australia
From: reshma pendse <reshma_pendse -at- yahoo -dot- co -dot- in>
To: "Brian -dot- Henderson -at- mitchell1 -dot- com" <Brian -dot- Henderson -at- mitchell1 -dot- com>, "Techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <Techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 10:08:12 +0530 (IST)

Brian -

Why would you not appreciate seeing Canada/U.S.? Would the same reasons apply to a Canadian not appreciating seeing U.S./Canada? In fact as a techwriter, one should follow that convention 'cos it's alphabetically correct. While an American might not mind U.S./Canada, I wonder how a might Canadian feel, not finding his/her country in 'C', and finding it lumped together with the U.S.?

Similarly, I feel a New Zealander might not appreciate being combined with Australia. Also, on most websites, when there is a Country drop down, we're used to seeing an alphabetical list where countries are not combined with each other. It would be good to stick to the known convention than try to establish a new one.

As an Indian, I would not like to see Bangladesh/ India/Pakistan/SriLanka combined in whatever order. Even though all 4 countries are geographically close, we're culturally vastly different. Makes no sense!

regards,
Reshma