styleref workarounds

Subject: styleref workarounds
From: Walden Miller <Walden -dot- Miller -at- canoeventures -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 18:16:32 -0500

Hi all.
I am back writing again. It's been about 6 years since I actively was on Techwr-l. But I have a new gig that requires me to write a style manual and a set of templates (20 or so) in Word. Most of my tech docs career was spent using Frame, so I am a bit rusty in creating big Word docs. I think I have mastered the table and numbering :) but I am having trouble getting around styleref fields in my headers. Here is my scenario:

I have multi-chapter books. Of course all in a single Word file. Chapters are separated by section breaks. I use a Chapter style for the first paragraph of each chapter/section. The first heading is what I call FH1 (first H1). It does not start a new page and always appears directly below the Chapter paragraph (albeit 300 points below). All subsequent H1s in the chapter start a new page. I refer to Chapter and H1 in the headers. There is no header on the first page of a chapter.

Consequently, if the second page of chapter does not start with an H1 heading, the first header of a chapter refers to the last H1 of the previous chapter. If I was the only user of the templates, I would just override the first H1 of the chapter and not worry about it. But I do not want to encourage the overriding of paragraph styles. I already get most of the documents back with paragraphs attempting to look right and styles set to Normal. I have some education to do besides the setup work.

Does anyone have a methodology to show one of two styles in a header? I would appreciate a work around, VBA, or anything else I can systematically include in a word doc that has a chance of survival in a multiple authoring, editing, commenting environment.

- Walden Miller

PS: Hello to Emily B and John P and of course to Eric R