Re: Stupid users (was Re: Is there a term for this?)

Subject: Re: Stupid users (was Re: Is there a term for this?)
From: Phil Snow Leopard <philstokes03 -at- googlemail -dot- com>
To: "techwrl (techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com)" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 23:45:34 +0700

On 11 Feb 2012, at 23:29, Steven Jong wrote:

> (I sense this is rapidly turning into a skirmish in the ongoing OS holy war, and hasten to get my shots in before the moderators stop it… 8^)

I don't detect any war. Just a cordial exchange....

> I know that's going to happen to people when they start their programs in front of the boss. In the larger scheme of things, I don't care.) I think worrying about what is and isn't captured is outmoded thinking, like worrying about what command lines are being generated under the desktop facade.

That's your right. I'm talking about people who do care. There's no option to turn off this forced behaviour for those that do. That's my complaint. It's a step back for an advanced OS, IMO.

> I did not know but accept your point 3, with the caveat that you're only talking about the security of the data after the machine is physically stolen, which is a special case.

Absolutely not. I could hack your machine while it sat on your desk and before you got back from your coffee break. No physical removal required (if you'd also set a firmware password I'd need to physically open the back of your machine, but that' a 5-minute job to take off and replace at most.)

> It strikes me that Apple might well flip the switch in an upcoming release and turn FileVault on by default, forcing us all to have secure disks.

You might be right, but it won't be any time in the next couple of years because FileVault 2 is nowhere near ready to handle anything except the simplest partitioning setups. My guess is they'll have dump the HFS+ volume scheme before they do that anyway (they already started and then pulled out of doing that back in 2008 or so for reasons unknown), but hey...we're now firmly in the realms of speculation here. :)

Best

Phil

Tech Writer
http://applehelpwriter.com