question re XML DITA editors

Subject: question re XML DITA editors
From: Alison Wyld <alison -dot- wyld -at- wyld-home -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 12:07:19 +0100

Hello,

I lurked (and occasionally contributed) on this list in the 90s and early
00s before my career moved in a different direction...

Now I find myself for the first time in several years working with a small
software startup that is scratching its head and wondering how they ought
to be doing documentation.

One option we're looking into is XML (DITA flavor) and one thing we're
researching is tool choice. I'm seeing a lot of buzz around Oxygene, and
it seems to provide a lot of what they need for a reasonable cost. (wysiwig
type editing, integration into a development lifecycle that involves coding
in Eclipse and Archive/Versioning in SVN.)

But like all startups, they'd really like tools to be free, so they've
asked me to look into Serna. I've trawled the archives, but don't see
anything terribly recent.

So does anyone out there have some current experience with the free version
of Serna ? How does it stand up to the paying verison of Serna and/or to
Oxygene ? Hidden costs and gotchas ?

Other tools that people are happy with and recommend that I take a look at ?

Many thanks for any pointers

Alison Wyld