Re: RE: Technical Writing and Software Testing

Subject: Re: RE: Technical Writing and Software Testing
From: "Dana Worley (MVP/JB)" <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2012 09:41:58 -0700

Our testers are on the same level, if not slightly below, technical writers.

IMO, if you are not testing (e.g., noticing/submitting bugs) while writing documentation, you are not doing your job. Technical writers are always looking for ways to "improve their image" and add value -- this is a great way to do it.

Dana W.

On 12:59 PM, Kat Kuvinka wrote:

Well...not surprising...Test is higher up in the pecking order, isn't it?

Development> Test> Support OR Documentation fighting it out for the bottom

In light of the recent discussion about lowballing for writer rates, as I am looking for a job I also see low rates for testers and technical support. Developers (or "engineers") are still the elite in most organizations. Huh. They are no more engineers than I am.

BTW, at my last org, Testers and Developers were offered relaocation assistance, but Writers were not.

--
Campbell Scientific, Inc.