RE: Appendix numbering in Framemaker 9

Subject: RE: Appendix numbering in Framemaker 9
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 08:16:41 -0800

Sion Lane wrote:

> This problem seems like it should have a simple solution, but it's
> driving
> me nuts. Hopefully someone can help.
>
> Framemaker 9 on Windows, I have inherited a document which uses the
> <chapnum> variable to number the appendices. The Appenix title,
> formatted
> in an 'Appendix' paragraph style, is on the Master page of each
> appendix.

The title should be on the first body page (with the appropriate master page applied). I don't know why someone would put it on a master page or what all the untoward consequences are (one, I think, is that it won't appear in the TOC). It may or may not have any bearing on this issue. But put the title where it belongs, in the main flow of the doc.

> The problem is, I have two appendices and they are both showing as
> Appendix
> A. There doesn't seem to be any issue with the numbering settings at
> the
> book level (what should be Appendix B is set to Continue Numbering from
> previous file in book) and I have regenerated the numbering several
> times
> (each time I try something to fix it).

One possibility: The first appendix doesn't have numbering set right. In the book window, select it and open Numbering Properties. On the Chapter tab, is Format by any chance set to Text and Chapter # to A?

The proper way to alpha number appendices is to set the first appendix to Chapter #: 1, Format: ALPHABETIC (N) (and the rest to Continue Numbering From Previous File, as you've done).

If neither of those help, send us more specific info on how the numbering is set up, including what the autonumber format of the title paragraph is.

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom