Re: A round-trip excursion

Subject: Re: A round-trip excursion
From: Richard L Hamilton <dick -at- rlhamilton -dot- net>
To: techwrl <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2012 09:00:22 -0800

On Feb 3, 2012, at 8:38 AM, Robert Lauriston wrote:

> If the author is just talking about travel, I would rewrite.

I would, too. This is in a computer context, and I'll still probably rewrite, but I asked because I found the grammatical point interesting (and I needed a break:-).

> Using round-trip as a verb is common jargon in some fields, so
> possibly appropriate for some audiences. If used, it should be
> hyphenated.

That's my thought, too.

On Feb 3, 2012, at 7:41 AM, Milan DavidoviÄ wrote:

> This may be of interest:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_compound#Compound_verbs

This was very interesting. This article suggests joined for compound verbs that have a verb as the second word and hyphenated when the second word is a noun (e.g., out-fox, round-trip).

So, if you must use this combination (and there are good arguments for rewriting), I'm voting for hyphenated.

Thanks for the help (and the diversion; I'm going back to work:-).

Richard
-----
Intelligent Content 2012 Conference
Strategies for Reaching Customers Anywhere, Anytime on Any Device
February 22-24, Palm Springs, CA
http://www.intelligentcontentconference.com