RE: WRONG!..... -ish?

Subject: RE: WRONG!..... -ish?
From: <Brian -dot- Henderson -at- mitchell1 -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2012 08:53:10 -0800

Speaking as the type of person who would remove whatever annoying and/or
hindering machine parts I felt I could get away with, a recommendation
that I not do it would only serve to alert me to the possibility of
trouble. And that's all it would do.

Instead of a weak "recommendation", I would use a Caution to explain the
actual consequences of the cover removals. The user can then make a more
informed decision as to whether their desire outweighs the danger.

-Brian H.

-----Original Message----- From: Kevin McLauchlan

"We recommend that you not remove the covers that were installed at the
factory."

"We recommend that you do not remove the covers that were installed at
the factory."

Is the first sentence flatly wrong, or is this a matter of style or
formality?

I'm at home, and my trusty Fowler's and my Strunk & White are at the
office.