Re: handling queries from the market (was: Laptop for personal use?)

Subject: Re: handling queries from the market (was: Laptop for personal use?)
From: wanda <wetcoastwriter -at- me -dot- com>
To: techwrl <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 12:04:39 -0500

At one of my employers, their software product had been the result of their consulting. Before the wild world of the impression of connectivity through the web, dissatisfied customers would contact customer support or their sales rep and complain verbally. We'd record these as bugs which would then be ranked for fixes in a patch or next version but some customers felt that their concerns were not being heard. They would write to our street address and simply add a management position title (Director of Product X, Director of Marketing, President, etc.). These letters often had the effect of elevating the issue dramatically. The bug report (if one existed) would be tracked down and fast-tracked. The customer would be contacted by several people including a support manager who would walk through the problem with the customer to ensure they felt heard. Product managers would contact the customer as the fix was implemented in code and keep them up-to-date on the progress. This was the noisiest process I know of. There was something a little less noisy at another employer, a place that wanted to think they had a bit more dignity. I think, in a way, the forms on web sites are less satisfying because there is not the sense that you've rattled someone's cage, spoken to the big guns; when filling out the forms, I generally feel much the same way I do at neighborhood fireworks. Writing to someone up the food chain feels more like the Canada Day fireworks on Parliament Hill.

On a more personal note, after getting the run around from a company about my microwave (it was fancy, expensive, and broke within a month of getting it as a gift), I used connections to find the name of someone at the head office. I wrote to them and implied that I would use my gift of the gab to complain publicly if I did not get a resolution. I got a letter back immediately and a replacement microwave arrived less than a month later.

I know that some companies use the web-based forms to populate in-house databases for issues, but I'm not sure of the mechanics. It's just something I've heard spoken of at conferences and on lists (such as ours).

HTH,
wanda
wetcoastwriter -at- me -dot- com

http://www.doctohelp.com