Re: A better open source raster/bitmap editor - preferably portable

Subject: Re: A better open source raster/bitmap editor - preferably portable
From: jimmy -at- breck-mckye -dot- com
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 13:41:49 +0000

I assume you're outputting JPEGs or some other lossy format. Why not use a lossless format like PNG? If you're worried about filesize, PNGs should compress better than JPEGs for images like screenshots or diagrams, because of the small number of colours. In fact, if you have less than 255 colours in your image, and no need for 'variable' transparency, you can save even more space by compressing to PNG-8 rather than PNG-24. And being lossless, it will look better than *any* JPEG - no matter what quality setting.

On 21.01.2012 04:20, Tony Chung wrote:

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 10:56 AM, Chris Morton <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:
I learn a lot about new tech from this group, especially when it comes to
open source tools (such as GIMP).

On this note, I'm on the hunt for an open source or free raster
image/bitmap editor with the quality of Photoshop but none of the
hangups of GIMP. I like GIMP, and would be willing to put up with its
UI idiosyncrasies if its export quality wasn't so horrible. Even at
the highest quality setting, GIMP saves images that are more blurry.
Photoshop generates crisper images.

I haven't asked around, and I haven't looked on
http://portableapps.com . I could explore a lot of different editors,
but I thought polling the hive to see if there might be something I
haven't thought of.

The key requirements are that it should not need to be installed, nor
should it access the system layer. I prefer programs that I can save
on a USB key. Java-based applications are okay. I link to a Java
library on my key to run Freemind.

Bonus: Is there also a port, or even a different application, that
works on a Mac?

Send me your experience!

Thanks,

-Tony

http://www.doctohelp.com

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as jimmy -at- breck-mckye -dot- com -dot-
or visit

http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/jimmy%40breck-mckye.com

http://www.techwhirl.com/email-discussion-groups/ for more resources
and info.

Looking for articles on Technical Communications? Head over to our
online magazine at http://techwhirl.com

Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions? Search our
public email archives @ http://techwr-l.com/archives

http://www.doctohelp.com