Re: Techno-fuddyduddy getting anxious

Subject: Re: Techno-fuddyduddy getting anxious
From: Chris Morton <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 10:56:07 -0800

I learn a lot about new tech from this group, especially when it comes to
open source tools (such as GIMP). Mine is a very small shop where I'm the
only TW. Oft times there isn't even soap for the men's restroom, and lately
the company has stopped providing free K-Cup coffee (which I didn't drink
anyway, but it was demoralizing nonetheless). I had to push hard to get a
single license for Adobe Creative Suite CS4, which I'm running it on an
antiquated desktop under Windows XP SP3 with 4GB RAM. (At least I have a
really nice 25' flat-screen monitor!).

Learning new apps because they may become useful down the road is a
fruitless approach. Years ago I was a sought-after AutoCAD expert who
frequently wrote about it for *Cadence* magazine. Today I'd have to start
all over. That said, several years ago I took a contract that required
FrameMaker, yet had never had exposure to it. I was a PageMaker expert,
however, so was able to easily make that transition with the help of a
30-day trial version, a copy of FM *Classroom in a Book, *and that
"insta-guru" aide known as the Internet.

My wife and I gave up our cell phones as a needless expense several years
ago; today we have a prepaid unit that we use when traveling. I do see a
Droid in my future, however, especially after seeing my son's unit. One of
its uses would be as a do-all wi-fi remote for my home entertainment system
(audio/visual technology being one area in which I have not lapsed).

http://www.doctohelp.com