RE: documentation going away

Subject: RE: documentation going away
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Roberta Hennessey <rahennessey -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 16:57:29 -0500

It was a previous century when I last majored in anything, and it certainly wasn't English.
I was studying psychology and techie stuff. Finally went with the techie.

I'm not clear on "stock broker offices" and "what they did for the world".
The biggest slap that "the world" got from traders was not from traders of stocks.
It was from traders of debt derivative instruments -specifically derivatives of
bad debt, intricately disguised to look and smell much less revolting than the stuff they
were derived from. Those, in turn were built upon a rather too-wide
base of greedy and short-sighted, and often incompetent bankers, who
in turn were encouraged in the _strongest_ terms by a government that set
up the incentives and the rules and cheered from the sidelines.
I thought everybody knew that.

I mean, I didn't know it until it was explained to me, but by ____
it was explained over and over and over in the months and years
after it happened, in every periodical above the caliber of People
Magazine, and on news and public affairs shows at every stop
on the dial (if we still used dials).

To bring this back to relevance, I saw some good technical writing
in a number of magazines, _in addition_ to The Economist, which
naturally had very lucid depictions of how it all went kablooie.