Re: Techno-fuddyduddy getting anxious

Subject: Re: Techno-fuddyduddy getting anxious
From: Dossy Shiobara <dossy -at- panoptic -dot- com>
To: Nancy Allison <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 10:37:43 -0500

On 1/16/12 9:57 AM, Nancy Allison wrote:

Since my job doesn't require me to use a lot of the newer technologies, how the heck do I get exposure to them without spending a bundle of my own money?

I've often read that the only thing a writer needs to do, is write. That makes you a writer, but I'd argue that just that alone doesn't make you a very good one.

I've learened that most good writers also do something else: read. A lot.

How much technical writing do you _read_? Find excellent technical writing on everything you can get your hands on, especially newer technology and such, and read it. Read it multiple times. Read writings about the same technology from different authors, from various sources.

Obviously, writing will never be an adequate proxy for actual experience, but absent of any experience, having read some good tech. writing is better than no knowledge at all.

HTH, HAND,

Dossy

--
Dossy Shiobara | "He realized the fastest way to change
| is to laugh at your own folly -- then you
| can let go and quickly move on." (p. 70)
* WordPress * jQuery * MySQL * Security * Business Continuity *

http://www.doctohelp.com