RE: Best practices for instructional design

Subject: RE: Best practices for instructional design
From: "Lauren N. Hart" <Lauren_Hart -at- 2is-inc -dot- com>
To: 'Jen Jobart' <jenjobart -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 15:39:16 +0000

When I design presentations meant to train a live audience how to use specific software, I use one or more of the following programs: Snagit, Camtasia Studio 6, and/or Power Point, and Gotomeeting or webex if the audience is not in the same room as me. My advice is to keep the presentation as simple as possible and keep each slide or screen to 1 task only with no more than 3 steps. Go slowly. Ask if anyone is lost or has any questions periodically. Just because you know the software in and out doesn't mean that someone else does. Also, don't tell them how it works, tell them how to use it. That's all they care about, so don't bore them with the details of how the program works, unless they ask. Keep it task-oriented instead of an overview. Use a combination of images (screenshots), video, and sound (talking them through the steps). Snagit and Camtasia (or similar programs) have a lot of circles, arrows, text boxes, highlighting, numbers, etc that make it easy to point things out.