Re: CareerBuilder - the "first" choice in jobs?

Subject: Re: CareerBuilder - the "first" choice in jobs?
From: Margaret Cekis <margaret -dot- cekis -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: William Sherman <bsherman77 -at- embarqmail -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 17:43:28 +0000 (UTC)

William Shermanasked about "CareerBuilder - the "first" choice in jobs?"
"I have a resume on CareerBuilder and I get the weekly notices. But I really wonder how effective they think they are."
William:
Career Builder, Monster, 4Jobs, and many other all-purpose job boards now seem to use algorithms that insist on giving you a given number of "jobs" on your alerts regardless of their relevance to what you are actually searching for. Even Indeed.com, which I have recommended to job seekers for several years, now includes more jobs I consider irrelevant to to someone searching for a technical writing position than it seemed to 3 or 4 years ago.
I still subscribe to Indeed (even when I have a contract, and have dropped most other job alerts) and continue to recommed it because it will give you links to other specialized job boards, and to corporate and university positions that may not be posted on the general job boards. You can then create alerts on additional promising sites. No matter what you do, for every good lead you get, you will have to cull through a lot of irrelevant postings. Just read 'em and delete 'em if they're not what you're looking for, but getting your resume and alerts on more sites will help more recruiters find you, and that's all to the good. And if any of the irrelevant jobs match what a friend or relative is looking for, you can forward the links to them.
Margaret Cekis, Johns Creek GA

http://www.doctohelp.com