Re: What doc formats do readers actualy use? Was, "what doc formats do READERs want ?"

Subject: Re: What doc formats do readers actualy use? Was, "what doc formats do READERs want ?"
From: John Allred <jack -at- allrednet -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 08:28:49 -0600

I hesitate to suggest such a thing... it seems almost heretical. Why do release cycles need to be so rapid that they outrun anyone's ability to support them? Do we users gain anything? Or do the manufacturers create more revenue from a heavy churn rate? Oh, wait! Duh! If you want proof that we're being constantly pushed to upgrade, go to Adobe's web site and try to find help, documentation, downloads, you name it, for any of their apps prior to CS5. It's as if the previous versions never existed.

~John Allred

On 12/13/2011 5:44 PM, Suzanne Chiles wrote:

Like David Pogue's "Missing Manual" series.

Seriously, one reason a lot of companies have gone to this model is the
short release cycles that we find ourselves in. For many products, there
simply isn't time to create printed materials to coincide with releases.

Suzanne Chiles

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 3:30 PM, Gene Kim-Eng<techwr -at- genek -dot- com> wrote:

MS long ago adopted the practice of not producing manuals so they could
collect licensing fees from third party publishers who produced "how to"
and "inside" MS books. I've often wondered if some of their products'
eccentricities exist mostly to help generate a market for these.

Gene Kim-Eng

--
Suzanne Chiles
suzchiles -at- gmail -dot- com

http://www.doctohelp.com

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as jack -at- allrednet -dot- com -dot-
or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/jack%40allrednet.com

http://www.doctohelp.com