Re: (Specific) technical writing tools defined

Subject: Re: (Specific) technical writing tools defined
From: Stuart Burnfield <slb -at- westnet -dot- com -dot- au>
To: Techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 10:17:48 +0800 (WST)

Epic Editor was the old name, going back several years now. It's very much alive as Arbortext Editor. IBM uses a customized in-house version to produce all of their tech pubs (except, I think, Redbooks, which are still done in FrameMaker). We use V5.4 at my company.

It's a very good and powerful (and expensive) tool for editing XML and SGML files. The editing window is semi-WYSIWYG. The only thing I don't like is that it's poor for global find-and-replace. I use a text editor (jEdit or TextPad) for that.

The vendor is PTC (http://www.ptc.com/products/arbortext/). If you want to know more, ask away.

Regards,
Stuart

http://www.doctohelp.com