RE: Results of the STC India 2011 Salary Survey

Subject: RE: Results of the STC India 2011 Salary Survey
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Paresh Naik <paresh -dot- n -dot- naik -at- gmail -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 14:33:48 -0500

Paresh,

I read the report.
It seems well-done and straightforward.
I have a suggestion.

If you are going to bother to compare salaries in two
very separate countries, then it would only make sense
to also compare costs of living in both places.

You've (no doubt) seen discussions among the American
writers on this list, where they are always emphasizing
that seemingly vast differences in salary from one city
or state to another are usually offset by concomitant
differences in cost of living at each locale.

Nothing economic occurs in a vacuum.

I can assure you, and the Indian readers of your report,
that the vast majority of American technical writers are
not living in palaces with legions of servants at their
beck and call. At least, not the ones I know.
Most probably have their spouse working, in order to help
cover their mortgage, and (in the northern States, as here
in Canada), to pay for the extra fuel, clothing, and other
costs associated with living where it snows.

My employer is international, with offices in many
countries, including India. Staff who visit from India
quickly learn that the per-diem allowance is not as
obscenely generous as they might have thought, upon
first reading the amount, when they confront what
it costs to buy lunch or dinner at a local restaurant,
or to pay for the taxi that gets them there, and then
back to their hotel.

A movie at a local cinema costs $25 (or more) for two people,
plus another fifteen or twenty dollars for consumables.

As well, we Americans and Canadians tend to see nearly
half our nominal incomes disappear in taxes, either
before we get our paycheques (withheld at source by
employers acting as agents of the tax man) or afterward
when we pay for any good or service (value-added and
sales taxes).

Additionally, a considerable number of Americans are
saddled with mortgages that exceed the current resale
values of their homes. That's called being "under water".
Or if you are the bank, it's called a short sale (where
the value to be recovered from sale of the asset falls
short of the amount owing).

That's not to say that most of us don't have it
pretty good in general, but perhaps not so much better
as the naked, unexplained, out-of-context salary differences might imply.

Regards,

- kevin (just north of those Americans)

PS: Those same visitors from our India offices, if they
happen to make the trip in winter, soon learn that your
concept of cold-weather attire is often not nearly
warm enough nor (especially with regard to boots) sufficiently
water-repellent. It's OK if you have a rental vehicle,
or take taxis everywhere, but a thin coat and a pair
of shoes are dismally lacking if you have to rely on
public transportation.

Of course, if they visit in our summer they'll remark
how blessedly cool and pleasant our weather is compared
to summer or pre-monsoon back home. Ya win some, ya lose some. :-)

or disclosing it.

http://www.doctohelp.com