RE: Identifying embedded screen shot names in Framemaker

Subject: RE: Identifying embedded screen shot names in Framemaker
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: kalpana thakar <k_thakar -at- yahoo -dot- com>, Techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2011 09:23:29 -0800

kalpana thakar wrote:

> Could someone please tell me how can I get the names of the screen
> shots that have been embedded in frame maker files?
>
> It's a 500 page document and all the screen shots have been embedded. I
> need to know the names of all the embedded screen shots - is there a
> way that I can get this info?

Bad news: You can't. Unlike Word, FM doesn't remember the names of embedded files.

Good news: You can recover all the files easily by using Omni Systems' Mif2Go to export them. Here's an explanation that Omni Systems owner Jeremy Griffith posted on the FrameUsers list (2/2/2010):

You can't retrieve the name, but you *can* retrieve the
graphic itself, in its original format, losslessly, by
exporting it with Mif2Go. You can do a whole book at
once. The graphics are named aaaannnn.ext, where the
aaaa is the start of the Frame filename and nnnn is a
sequence number (but *not* the sequence in the doc).
(The number of letters and digits is settable.) You
had then best rename them to something more sensible.

This is very different from what you get with Frame's
HTML export, which re-renders the image at very poor
resolution; for EPS, it renders only the preview. But
with Mif2Go, you get back the original, which is still
encoded in the MIF.

You don't even have to buy Mif2Go to do this; it works
fine in the demo version, and we approve of such use.
(We know you have Mif2Go, Nancy, but not everyone does. ;-)

If you then want the graphics back in, but referenced,
it's best to go through the file, and at each image
select the image itself, *not* the anchored frame.
Then use File > Import > File for the appropriate
replacement graphic. That way, you keep the scaling
and position of the image as it was, while removing
the embedded graphic. It's quick and simple.

HTH!

<jeremy -at- omsys -dot- com> http://www.omsys.com/

I HTH, too.

Richard G. Combs