RE: Certification -- take 2,577

Subject: RE: Certification -- take 2,577
From: Lynne Wright <Lynne -dot- Wright -at- tiburoninc -dot- com>
To: Jerry Franklin <jerryfranklin -at- alumni -dot- northwestern -dot- edu>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com\"" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 18:39:46 +0000

Oh dear. Just when I thought this thread was possibly running out of steam, you've got me going again.

I'm not going to argue with what you're saying, in terms of certification being largely a sham -- a pretty bauble that people use to market themselves as being part of some kind of shadow elite.

But if we're going to accept that premise -- and it seems that's the core of many of the arguments against it -- then the STC might as well toss out the whole application process, and just say you can put "STC Certified" on your cv and we'll back you up, as long as your annual dues are paid up.

They'd save themselves the whole bother of weeding through applicant material, and would make more income over the long term, since people like me, who don't currently belong to the STC, will be pretty much forced to pony up year after year in order to stay competitive.