Re: Technical writing as a trade

Subject: Re: Technical writing as a trade
From: John Allred <jack -at- allrednet -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2011 16:04:39 -0500

I love this discussion. It's a reasonable statement that an autodidact
is one who has, to put it in few words, learned how to learn. Is it not
true that education, at its core, has this as a major goal? Once a
person has acquired the discipline of learning, the process becomes
repeatable in other areas, without need of a "master" or a formal
academic setting. This describes the best tech writers I've known.
On 11/1/2011 12:59 PM, Porrello, Leonard wrote:

Comments cherry-picked from Chris' post are in quotes. Responses follow.

"All I'm saying is that you can look at any trade, craft, profession, or even ar
t through a lens of trade, craft, profession, or even art. That's all I'm sayin
g... You can use the lens if you want to, and you can get value out of using it
. Or not. So shoot me, already."

I totally agree and will call off the hit team.

"I jumped to the wrong conclusion, then. Your vote is in favor of tech writer c
ertification."

No, not really. Just because I think it is possible doesn't mean that I think it
would beneficial or otherwise desirable. Besides, I already have a certificate.
For personal reasons (I already have a certificate, am not interested in jumpin
g through more hoops than I already have to, I don't have the time), I am agains
t certification as the STC has designed the program.

"But the American self-made man did happen"

I believe in pioneers and revolutionaries, but I think the phrase "self-made man
" is deeply misleading. We are all profoundly indebted to our parents and our cu
lture. Show me a person who raised himself alone in the wilderness and invented
his own civilization and technology, and I will support the concept. As for Edis
on, I looked him up too. I would also add Abe Lincoln to the list as well. But t
he list isn't one of men and women who had little education. It is a list of peo
ple who were exceptionally autodidactic. They were persistent enough to find the
books they needed to learn when they felt they needed to know. They were also a
rguably intelligent enough to recognize their own blind spots (unlike most of th
e rest of us who need to have them pointed out). For every great inventor or sci
entist that was "self-educated," you will find countless others who went through
extensive formal education (Newton, Einstein, Planck, Fermi... to name a very f
ew).

"You can take a clear thinker who is reasonably literate, and teach that person
to be a very good tech writer."

No contest. I agree. I would point out your starting point, however: "reasonably
literate." That comes only from education.