Re: Certification -- what's in it for writers

Subject: Re: Certification -- what's in it for writers
From: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: Jerry Franklin <jerryfranklin -at- alumni -dot- northwestern -dot- edu>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 12:12:28 -0700

>From the POV of someone who periodically hires technical writers, there's no
way that I'm going to put a certification down as a hiring prerequisite (and
HR screeners work off hiring manager prerequisites, not off any knowledge
they may or may not have or think they have about an open position) or use
it as a justification to my management for hiring someone unless I have a
reasonable expectation that it is at least a partial predictor of a
candidate's chances of being able to do the job.

The part of your resume that is getting most of my attention is what you've
done, where you've done it and what positive results you can point to. it's
only when those sections are really light that I pay any attention at all to
the rest of the resume.

Gene Kim-Eng

http://www.doctohelp.com