RE: STC certification: what's in it for tech writers?

Subject: RE: STC certification: what's in it for tech writers?
From: Lynne Wright <Lynne -dot- Wright -at- tiburoninc -dot- com>
To: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>, Dan Goldstein <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 20:31:55 +0000

Which raises another issue: perhaps the root of the problem is that schools that run tech writing programs aren't holding their grads to an acceptable level of baseline competence.

Ie. how is it that folks can graduate from a two-year tech communications program without knowing how to write a clear, simple sentence in active voice?

Then HR people could look for a degree in technical communication if they're looking for a "junior" writer; or ask for x yrs experience OR certification if they're looking for somebody who can jump in and be up to speed relatively quickly.