Re: STC certification program: skeptical curmudgeonlyness, part II

Subject: Re: STC certification program: skeptical curmudgeonlyness, part II
From: Steven Jong <stevefjong -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L Digest <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- TECHWR-L -dot- COM>, Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 12:56:41 -0400

I don't believe I responded to this question from Bill Swallow:

> I think the heart of the question is: What is the criteria for
> determining who can be an assessor? How are they chosen/evaluated?

Our certification consultant has pointed out a bit of a bootstrapping problem here, which has caused an evolution in our thinking from what I was saying a year ago. The ideal assessors are themselves certified practitioners, and eventually we will have a pool of them to work with. But how do you award the first certifications without certified assessors? My original thought was an all-star panel of assessors, and we may do that if we want to have someone specialize in portions of the candidate packets. What we have for right now is the people who put together the instructions and scoring criteria, because they are the most experienced.

We will evaluate the evaluators. Because packets are anonymous and can be split into separate submissions, there are clever ways to inject "test packets," both known good and known bad, into the submission stream.

-- Steve

--
Steven Jong, Chairman
STC Certification Commission

mailto:SteveFJong -at- comcast -dot- net
mobile:978-413-2553

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.
-- Margaret Mead

http://www.doctohelp.com