Re: STC certification program

Subject: Re: STC certification program
From: "Peter Neilson" <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 13:11:55 -0400

On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 09:42:43 -0400, Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com> wrote:

If I read Steve's reply correctly, he was talking about continuing education, where you acquire credits for taking courses in something but does not require you to take anything specific. So taking a seminar in the latest developments in whatever you're actually doing, including domain-related courses, should satisfy the requirement. If not, then you can add me to the list of people grumbling about this one.

Let me grumble here. I cannot afford to go to any classroom three-days-a-week stuff. Tried that. Had to park about half an hour's walk from campus. Took one course that way about ten years ago, gave it up because I could not afford the half-day time off from work three days a week. "We had a meeting. I sent out e-mail at 9:30 about the meeting at 11:00. Where were you?"

Closer to home there is a community college. The only course they have that might look appropriate is beginner's MS Word. My digestion cannot stomach that. Maybe I could take welding. Or macrame. Or pre-algebra. Or law enforcement.

Some of the on-line courses might be worthwhile, I suppose. I've just never found any that were helpful and somehow gave a credit.

I've not been to any seminar things since about 1985. Employers only send "key" people to those and a TW is not key, especially if not a regular employee. I have never found the time or money available to go to one on my own.

Apparently I am no longer a tech writer at all. I don't fit in the box.

Later I may have words to say about ISO 9000, quality, and certification. Or maybe I won't bother.

http://www.doctohelp.com