RE: introducing steps

Subject: RE: introducing steps
From: M -dot- Vina-Baltsas -at- mindray -dot- com
To: Peter Sturgeon <prsturgeon -at- bell -dot- net>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 12:21:30 -0400

I hear you about the translation issue, but using a gerund in the heading
should eliminate the confusion.

Michelle Viña-Baltsas
Senior Technical Writer

800 MacArthur Blvd.
Mahwah, NJ 07430

Tel: 201-995-8350
m -dot- vina-baltsas -at- mindray -dot- com

STRICTLY PRIVATE & CONFIDENTIAL.This email may contain confidential and
proprietary material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any
review or distribution by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not
the intended recipient please contact the sender and delete all copies.

Peter Sturgeon <prsturgeon -at- bell -dot- net>
Sent by: techwr-l-bounces+m -dot- vina-baltsas=mindray -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
10/18/2011 09:28 AM

<becca_price -at- yahoo -dot- com>, techwrl <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
cc

Subject
RE: introducing steps

This thread ignores translation. Making the introductory phrase a complete
grammatical sentence makes it easier for translators and non-native
speakers of English to understand the procedure.

By starting with a infinitive phrase, every subsequent step is
grammatically part of a potentially very long serial sentence.

By starting with a complete grammatical sentence, each step acts as an
independent sentence.

Just sayin'

> Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 17:47:31 -0700
> From: becca_price -at- yahoo -dot- com
> Subject: introducing steps
> To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>
> I'm taking a class in technical writing. My teacher says never to
introduce a series of steps with an infinitive (To install Sigil) but to
use an independent clause ("To install Sigil, follow these steps:" or
words to that effect. To me, the clause "follow these steps" is imlied by
the fact that steps follow. Still, it's the teacher, so I have to follow
her style.

> Is there a more graceful way to introduce steps? how do yo do it? I'm
pretty much coming up dry.

> Thanks
>
> Becca

Create and publish documentation through multiple channels with
Doc-To-Help.
http://www.doctohelp.com

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as M -dot- Vina-Baltsas -at- mindray -dot- com -dot-

or visit
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/m.vina-baltsas%40mindray.com

http://www.doctohelp.com