I <3 TeX (was Re: real books)

Subject: I <3 TeX (was Re: real books)
From: Dossy Shiobara <dossy -at- panoptic -dot- com>
To: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2011 15:02:39 -0400

I know this horse is glue, now ... but in the spirit of "I hate being wrong on the Internet" [c.f. http://xkcd.com/386/ ...] I wanted to work out a working TeX example instead of the throw-away mock snippet I posted earlier, which doesn't actually "work" ...

So, here's the Plain TeX document, in its entirety, including comments:

\font\big=cmsy10 scaled \magstep4\textfont2=\big % use big font for math
\def\heart{\lower 6pt \hbox{$\heartsuit$}\kern .3em} % our heart definition
I \heart \TeX % yes, I do
\bye

And, here's what that snippet above actually renders:

http://dossy.org/uploads/2011/09/i-heart-tex.png

I remembered that if I wanted to use Unicode U+2665 for the heart, it'd require LaTeX and I wanted something that would work in Plain TeX. (N.B. when most people refer to "TeX" they actually mean LaTeX, not Plain TeX.)

There are some real neat benefits of authoring a document in an environment that blends content with a robust programming language.

On 9/7/11 11:35 AM, Peter Neilson wrote:

It's amazing how someone who has never used TeX (that would be me) can read Dossy's TeX code.

On Wed, 07 Sep 2011 11:08:18 -0400, Dossy Shiobara <dossy -at- panoptic -dot- com> wrote:

I love that saying. Thanks for giving me a good laugh this morning.

\newcommand{\heart}{\char"2665}
I {\magstep 1.8\heart} \TeX

--
Dossy Shiobara | "He realized the fastest way to change
dossy -at- panoptic -dot- com | is to laugh at your own folly -- then you

http://www.doctohelp.com