Re: An Overdue Reminder: Rules for the Discussion List

Subject: Re: An Overdue Reminder: Rules for the Discussion List
From: Robert Courtney <bobsc1 -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 20:01:10 -0700

Yes, well... I don't post much because I am no longer sure what I should or not.... but, I do enjoy the group. I do need help with finding a new job. I do look at threads and they can be educational.

I hope to be more inclusive in the group. Since I am not working I would like it. Just not always sure now.

Bobby

On 8/31/2011 5:47 PM, INKtopia Admin wrote:

So we actually haven't posted a rules reminder since taking over TechWhirl.
Not that you all have been egregiously misbehaving, but you just never
know... You can also find the on the website in case you forget about what's
appropriate and what's not (
http://www.techwr-l.com/articles/mailing-lists/techwr-l-rules-expectations)

Check the archives before posting: http://www.techwr-l.com/archives.html
What to post

- If it is about technical communication and of general interest, post
it.
- If it is about technical communication and original and humorous, post
it.

What not to post

- If it doesn't clearly and directly relate to technical communication,
don't post it.
- If it relates to *language use* but not technical communication, it
probably isn't appropriate. Don't post it.
- If it relates to *computer use* but not technical communication, it
probably isn't appropriate. Don't post it.
- If it continues an irrelevant thread in any way (rebuttal, rebuke,
rerun, revision, remark), don't post it.
- If it is a personal message to a single subscriber, don't post it. Even
if mail to that person bounces.
- If you aren't sure, don't post it.
- If it is a test message, do not post it. Ever. Contact the listowner if
you have problems posting or with your subscription, or send a test message
to techwr-l-test -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com to check your mail settings.
- If it's a job ad or other ad, don't post it--send it to
admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com for inclusion in the daily ad
posting.<http://www.techwr-l.com/advertise>
- If it is something cute, interesting, or funny that you found on the
Internet (e.g. Dr. Seuss on Tech Writing, origin of spam), don't post it. I
assure you that most readers have seen it already.

Other

- Check your facts on anything you post. Do not under any circumstances
post virus warnings or anything else designed to be "forwarded to everyone
you know" to this list.
- Do not directly attack anyone for anything on the list. Take issue with
ideas, not personalities, and do NOT point out grammatical, spelling, or
usage errors. This forum is not the place to exercise editorial frustration.
- Edit all unnecessary quoted messages and TECHWR-L footers out of your
postings, and make sure that you send only plain text messages and no
attachments to the list.
- Please do not post ads in any form. Send job ads and other ads to
announce to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com for inclusion in the daily ad posting.
- Please make sure your E-mail address is included in the body of the
message you post to the list.
- If responses are sent to you--not to the whole list--please summarize
and post the entire summary back to the list. A summary should include
attributions so others can pick up conversations offline if necessary with
original posters. When you send a summary back to the list, use the word
"SUMMARY" as the first word of the "Subject" line."

*I followed the rules but my message still bounced - why?*

Our system is pretty good but sometimes it gets it wrong. Or sometimes the
moderators mean to click OK but click reject. If your post gets dinged but
you disagree, please resubmit it. And if it gets rejected a second time then
please let us know. We'll check the system and make certain it gets through
on the third go. We're here facilitate good conversations so we'll certainly
correct any errors ASAP!

http://www.doctohelp.com